::2017 Wedding Trends::
Each year, we reflect on trends of the year before and awe at what is to come. 2017 has me particularly excited. I had the pleasure of attending Wedding MBA in the fall and according to WPIC, these are the trends that are going to get all of your Instagram hearts and comments.
*Give me a little grace on the images here. Some of them are so new, they are are hard to find. And the spacing is super weird on this post?? Most of these are my own work but a few are random Internet finds that didn't have any credit. If you see an image or work that is yours or a friend's, please let me know and I will credit them!
1. Pantone color of the year!!! Here are some fabulous ways to pair this year's Greenery pick. In general, COLOR is back. HOORAH!!!
2. Edible glam (they said glitter donuts but I personally think donuts are on the out, perhaps the glam is what gives these yummies some staying power).
3. Pocket square boutonnieres! Okay, these are neat. They look like they are coming out of the jacket pocket. While I have your attention on this matter, can we talk about proper boutonniere and pocket square usage... wearage.. ?? Whatever. It’s either one or the other but not both. Got it?
4. Goodbye macarons, hello meringue!
5. Unique table layouts! Anyone can place round tables symmetrically in a square room but getting creative on this is IN. I have to admit, this can require some math and as such, is likely the reason I have avoided this in design with clients but I shall lay down my fears. I can always use a calculator.
6. Floral walls have been a thing for a while now but floral cake tables are nudging their way in like wow! This is so new that I can't really find an accurate photo. Think floral wall but small, and with a cake on top. Acrylic cake stands are also giving my eyeballs a happy dance. For added pleasure, fill boxes with flowers!
7. Hanging décor. When you visit your venue next, mind the ceilings and entry ways. What can be hung that will captivate your guests?
8. Animals!!!!! In no particular order, these little guys are quite popular: donkeys, flamingos and unicorns. My word of caution here is that these are indeed TRENDS and could potentially date what you are doing. This will be one of those fast and furious trends, in my opinion, but one I’m obviously loving- I mean, Annie was totally the cutest little unicorn for Halloween!
9. Unique Spaces. Catherine and DJ used the entrance to this ballroom as their ceremony space and it was so dramatic and gorgeous!!!! We had the guest come in the side entrance and they were wowed as they walked in.
10. An entrance that makes a statement! We will see more and more of these jaw dropping entry ways as a means of exciting guests for all that is to come. Whether it's built into the venue like this one or created with draping and florals.
11. Dramatic lighting! It’s really important to pin-light your table-scapes when hosting in a ballroom or space that is lacking in natural light. Either way, the sun does eventually go down, even on windows. Lighting creates texture and depth!
12. Macrame backdrops are still on the list! I do think we are on the back end of this trend so get it in quick if thinking about it. I also think we are seeing less ‘boho’ as in feathers, arrows, dreamcatchers, etc and more Anthro! I happen to be a little bit over the macrame backdrops but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!
13. Robes are so last year (and the year before, and the one before that) so I want to see more floral rompers on those bridesmaids!
14. More in the flower department, we will be seeing more floral bridesmaid dresses. This may be my favorite trend of them all. LOOK AT ALL OF THEEEESSSSSEEE!!!!
15. We still see lawn games from time to time but are looking forward to adding classic games like life size Connect Four and Jenga to the mix. Or pinatas! Lots of those please.
16. Jewelry garter belts. Hot momma!
17. More unique wedding dresses and a lot of off shoulder styles coming to market this year. Did someone say crop top wedding dress??!?!?!?!!!!!!
18. Anything but a cake, in cake form! Crepes, rice crispies, churros….
19. Geodes and agates hit the ground hard in 2016 and will continue to linger in 2017. This is another trend that I think will be on the fast and furious side.
20. Extreme wedding photos are the new ‘trash the dress’! Dream big- waterfalls, cliffs, valleys or underwater! Iceland is becoming a popular destination for this. Locally, I recommend Azul Ox and Mike Reed for underwater images.
On that note, it is also my duty to list some trends that are worn out, dying, becoming dated, no longer unique, etc. And if you're planning to use any of these elements, great! Don't let a vendor talk you out of your wishes. Except for #4 and #9. :P
1. Flower crowns
2. All white / neutral wedding (guess I better update my website! I chose white because it doesn't scare people away!)
3. Converse, sneakers, etc matched with a tux or gown
4. Burlap, lace, mason jars
5. Boho themed; specifically feathers, dream catchers, teepees, etc
6. Large wedding parties
7. Pies, pie pops, cake balls, doughnuts, cupcakes, etc
8. Photobooths (vendors, don't kill me. AHHHH!!! I just think photobooths MUST be creative to stick around much longer)
9. Not sure this is on any 'real' list but it's on mine: things that are overly bad for the environment. Chinese Lanterns... balloon releases.... really y'all? (and yes, I'm tooooootally judging those that do these).
I'm excited and hopeful for 2017. You know that I don't push people to spend money for the sake of my own portfolio. I always aim to work within someone's pre-determined budget but I DO think that fun things can happen within any budget. Even if every bride and groom had only one really cool and unique element to their wedding, I think we could have a colorful year ahead.